Burns Lilac Collection, New York Botanical Garden
The NYBG lilac collection was established in 1949 with a gift of over 500 lilac plants from noted collector and breeder T.A. Havemeyer. Originally designed by landscape architect Marian Cruger Coffin, the collection was subsequently neglected through the second half of the century. It needed both revitalization and infrastructural repairs. Towers|Golde’s new design expanded the collection by over 50%, and companion plantings were added to extend the seasonal appeal of the garden. The design introduced new pathways to create accessible routes to new vista points and gathering spaces. Anchoring the complex is a large lawn suitable for events. Infrastructure issues were addressed and underdrainage added.
This project highlights the following DESIGN APPROACH GOALS >
New York Botanical Garden