7 - 7
The construction of a major parking structure provided an opportunity for St. Barnabas Hospital to reconsider its precious urban landscape resources. Towers|Golde assisted the institution in developing a vision of a gardenesque, pedestrian-friendly campus that recaptures the landscape’s historic beauty, emphasizes its therapeutic value and clarifies circulation and institutional identity.
Notably, the original sycamore allée of 1933 will be restored as a peaceful, social space with a new memorial garden. Arrival, emergency and service spaces will be enhanced. This visual and social quality of visitor, staff and patient courtyards will be dramatically improved. The perimeter edges, fencing and walls will also be upgraded to present an improved institutional face to the public.